About ten years ago, when I got my first computer, I had no idea how to type. I figured since I was going to be at the computer I would have a lot more fun if it didn’t take me fifteen minutes to type one sentence. I didn’t want to use the “hunt and peck” method. Just using the index fingers and pecking away.
My friend had a CDR that taught  you how to type. It gave exercises, and you did the same thing over and over. I thought this was really boring. If I was going to learn to type, I wanted to learn while I was doing stuff on the computer. I didn’t want to do exercises for hours.
This lead me to the picture above. This is the original thing, it’s 10 years old. I drew out the keyboard (or most of it), black for the left hand and red for the right. Numbered the fingers and  leaned  it up by the monitor. I would look at the picture then the keyboard while I typed. After awhile I got the hang of it. If somebody asks me where a letter is on the keyboard, I can’t tell them, but when I’m typing my fingers go there. I got to the point where I can type without looking at the keyboard. For me, this was the best way to learn to type.