I can finally add another distinction to the Rumpeltonian résumé: I have received my first rejection letter from a museum.
A few weeks ago, I sent my Dave Brubeck MS Paint painting to the Museum of Bad Art. I didn't really expect it to get in, and eventually I forgot all about it.
Then I received an email from Michael Frank, the Curator-in-Chief.
He thanked me for sending it and explained that the Museum of Bad Art prefers to collect original physical works, mostly paintings. He added, “I'm not a Luddite, but we don't have the bandwidth to begin collecting digital work.”
It wasn't a form letter. Someone actually looked at my submission and took the time to write back.
So technically, the Brubeck didn't get rejected because it was too bad for the Museum of Bad Art. It was rejected because it was too digital.
I can live with that.
In fact, I'm rather pleased.
Artists spend years trying to get rejection letters from museums, galleries, magazines, and other institutions that have decided they don't want their work. Now I finally have one.
It's my first.
I think I'll keep it.
After all, every serious artist needs a rejection letter eventually.
Ralph Rumpelton now has his.
Ralph Rumpelton
No comments:
Post a Comment